Your chance to be a champion at the upcoming Malaysia Drone League (MDL) 23 Finale Race without even flying a drone.
The upcoming MDL23 Finale Race will be held at Institute Sukan Negara (ISN) Indoor Sports Hall, Bukit Jalil on the 25th-26th November 2023. All you need to do to be a winner, is just imagine a race track in your head, and just sketch it on paper. As simple as that.
Competition Rules and Guidelines:
- The track design must:
- Make use of 7 (seven) square racing gates including Start/ Finish Gate. No more, no less. 7 (seven) only.
- Make use of maximum 9 (nine) flags. You can use 1 flag only if you want, no problem, but you probably won’t win this competition using only 1 flag. So use more than 1 flag, but not more than 9.
- Racing line must go through all the 7 (seven) gates.
- Racing line can only go through each gate 1 (one) time only.
- Racing line may also go over a gate (ie split-s, cockscrew or spiral) but only 1 time too, but also must comply with Item (d) before or after going the gate.
- The flag can be use as race obstacle (eg to for corner/ orbit/ spiral) or as border marker (ie to be placed next to race gate to mark Split-S or Corkscrew area)
- For reference purpose, the indoor race track size area is 30 x 18 meter (~ 100 x 60 feet) with all-around netting. But you don’t need to worry about measurement. You just need to design the rough race line and gate/ flag position.
- The track can be Counter-Clock Wise (CCW) with Starting Block located right of track, or Clock-Wise (CW) with Starting Block located left of the track. Refer to Diagram 1. For the reference, the MDL23 Series #1 track was CCW.
- Drone crashing into each other happens during the race. But a good track design must try to minimize mid-air collision as much as possible. So, avoid designing race line where drone flight path criss-cross each other or head-on.
- Refer to Diagram 1: MDL23 Series #1 for example of track design. The winning track design will be converted to Velocidrone virtual track by MDL. Sample MDL23 Series #1 virtual track video at Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6yg7e2R3S0
- At minimum, the track design can be submitted as sketch over a piece of A4 paper. You can either take a photo or scan the drawing for submission. You can also submit digitally drawn design (ie using drawing/ visual/ CAD software) with drawing space of 16:9 aspect ratio (ie Windows Paint canvas size 1920 x 1080 pixel).
- At minimum, the track design must include basic description of race line and/ or obstacle ie Gate/ obstacle number, manoeuvre split-s, cockscrew, spiral etc. You can submit a 1,000-word essay describing your track design, but it will be useless if you don’t know how to draw.
- Submission through Google Form provided by organizer.
- You only allowed to submit 1 (one) design. If you email more than 1 design, you will be considered as a Spammer and will be block.
- Your email submission must reach the organizer Inbox or Junkbox before 12:00pm, Friday, 3rd November 2023. If your email is stuck in your Outbox or if your SMTP server is slow, please contact your IT support. We are not IT Support.
- The winning track design will be announced by 6th November 2023.
- MDL will convert the winning track design into virtual track. MDL have the right to modify and adjust the virtual track as it deems fit.
- Any questions or clarification can be forwarded through email to firstname.lastname@example.org or MDL Facebook.
The winner of this competition will be presented during the MDL23 Finale Prize Giving Ceremony. The Champion of this Competition will get:
- Winner Certificate
- A Pack of Propellers (10 x HQ Props and 10 x Gemfan Props) plus Gemfan T-Shirt
- CallSign immortalized in the Velocidrone Virtual Track. Imagine a track in Velocidrone Simulator named “MDL 23 Finale Track by “Your CallSign”. How cool is that?